Subject: Problems installing NetBSD 1.2 on Sun 3/60
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Francis <aaf@omnimark.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/09/1997 19:02:51
Hello:

I am trying to install NetBSD 1.2 on a Sun 3/60 with eight megabytes of
ram.
I am doing this via NFS. The first problem is that  it seems to take a
very long time
for netbsd(-rd) to load.  Occasionally I get the following message:

netif_get timeout; resetting. What is causing this (there is little
traffic on my sub-net)?

The more serious problem occures when my system detects the
external Sun scsi hard disk (which has a terminator on it). It hangs at

si0 at obio0 addr 0x140000 level 2 : options=1
scibus0 at si0

Once I turn the hard disk off, the boot proceeds. However when I try
to use edlabel /dev/rsd0c, I get "device not configured." What am I
doing
wrong?

Also I am curious as to how to install NetBSD 1.2 from SunOS? I cannot
see how this can be more cumbersome than using rarpd, bootparam, and
NFS.

Thank you,
Andrew Francis