Subject: Could you help me?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marco A. Ramirez <marami@terraba.fing.ucr.ac.cr>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/02/1997 23:40:08
Hello everybody. My name is Marco.

I am new in this mailing list and I don't know much about UNIX.
I want to install the NetBSD in my computer Macintosh IIsi but I have still
some doubts that I would like help from you to make a decission.

My computer has 17 megas RAM, system 7.5, 80M hard disk, a external (Global
Village Communication) ,Teleport Platinum 28.8 modem and I also have a zip
drive with some empty 100M disks that comes mac formmatted.

I want to install the unix machine in my mac because I need a unix web
server and a unix database software to be used by the CGI scripts to make
the interface between Webserver, the client and the database.

I don't have much room in my hard disk.

So, the questions are:

Could I install only the basic unix system on my mac and the rest on the
zip disks? and how much memory does it required (the basic)? Is it 50 M ok?
Do I need to do the partition to the hard disk before I intall the unix
system?

Could I use the zip disks to install on it the server, the database and
other programs? Do I have to do the partition to the zip disk? or do I have
to format the zip disk to be compatible with the mac or the PC's? If yes,
How can I do the partion if the program (Apple HD SC Setup) that I use does
not read that there is a zip disk in the scsi port? Do I have to use other
program? Wich one? Can you help to get it?

Can I do all that? Is it hard to do it? Can you help me?

Thank you so much everybody for your help!

Atte,
Marco A. Ramirez
marami@terraba.fing.ucr.ac.cr

PS:I am sorry if you do not understand what I was trying to say but I don't
speak very good english. My native language is spanish. I am from Costa
Rica (Central America, between Panama and Nicaragua but very very diferent
from both of them).