Subject: Re: disklabel, ISA, >16M RAM
To: James C. Cotillier III <jcc@skat.usc.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/24/1997 09:07:34
BTW, "tech-install" is for discussing the install system, not for help
with installations. I've added port-i386 to the cc: line -- please
edit out tech-install on your replies.

"James C. Cotillier III" writes:
> Apologies if this is in the FAQ (I can't reach the neonramp.com Web
> server at the moment).  Installing 1.2 on a 32Meg IBM PS/1 (ISA only),
> installing on all of a 540Meg SCSI drive on an Adaptec AHA1542C.

You need bounce buffer support. Official support for this will be
going in Real Soon Now. Temporary hacks to do it may be found on
ftp.netbsd.org in the pub/NetBSD/arch/i386 subdir.

The right thing for you to do is to install with 16 megs on board,
build a bounce buffer kernel, and put back the other 16 megs.

> Is there an alternate install kernel that has bounce buffers genned,
> or am I barking up the wrong install tree? :O

If you absolutely need one, maybe someone can build one for you.

Perry