Subject: Re: disklabel, ISA, >16M RAM
To: James C. Cotillier III <jcc@skat.usc.edu>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/24/1997 11:19:39
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, James C. Cotillier III wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this is in the FAQ (I can't reach the neonramp.com Web
> server at the moment).  Installing 1.2 on a 32Meg IBM PS/1 (ISA only),
> installing on all of a 540Meg SCSI drive on an Adaptec AHA1542C.

	Yup its a bounce buffer problem - straight NetBSD1.2 wont work
	with bus mastering ISA cards and >16mb of memory. If you can pull
	them memory to <=16mb then it should install fine.

	Once installed you should be able to download the isadma patch
	from 'ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/isadma/' and
	compile a new kernel with support for the 32mb and 1542.

	There is work in progress on a 'correct' implementation for this,
	but in the meantime... :)

	Can the INSTALL notes _please_ be updated to warn people about
	1542 type devices & >16Mb?

	If you cant pull the memory let me know & I'll compile up a 1.2
	boot disk with a patched kernel (but I wont be able to do this for
	a day or so)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.