Subject: sun3 netboot problems
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: DP <dp@mcs.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/21/1996 20:53:34
Hello:

oooookay, here's the setup. I've got a Sun 3/60 that I'm trying to
install NetBSD on. I'm netbooting it from a Sun Ultra 140 running
Solaris.

The Sun3 comes up, and is directed to boot from the network. It sends
out a RARP request, which is answered with an IP address by the Ultra.
TFTP is started up, and the netboot program gets successfully
transferred from the Ultra to the Sun3. From there, the Sun3 sends out a
broadcast asking for a bootparam server to figure out where to mount /.

Here's the problem. The Ultra is running rpc.bootparamd. and it DOESN'T
ANSWER. Using snoop (Solaris' built in equivelant to tcpdump), I can see
that the Ultra gets:

wind.flannel.net -> BROADCAST    BPARAM C WHOAMI? 10.0.2.20

In other words, a broadcast from the sun3 (wind) looking for a bootparam
server. And it simply doesn't answer. I tried running rpc.bootparamd on
a Pentium 166 also running Solaris and received the same results.

If it helps at all my /etc/bootparams file is:

wind
        root=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/root \
        swap=10.0.2.17:/export/wind/swap \
        domain=flannel.net

So why is it I get as far as getting it an IP, but then bootparamd
simply ignores broadcasts?

Blah.

Any help appreciated. :)