Subject: Re: Proposal: Add support for NOSHARE in NetBSD Makefiles
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/25/1996 15:07:59
> As a consequence of this, I propose that the Makefiles be augmented with
> a new variable (e.g. NOSHARE) that works like NOMAN: if it is present,
> "make install" will skip those parts that go into /usr/share.

So, i've long wanted seperate targets like:

	all-includes
	all-lib
	all-bin
	all-share
	install-includes
	install-lib
	install-bins
	install-share

etc. throughout the tree.  The notion would be that you could say:

"make" at the top, which would translate into "make all" which would
in turn translate into "make all-install all-lib all-bin all-share"
etc., and you should be able to restrict which targets each of the
generic targets (all, install, clean, etc.) expands into.

it'd be nice to be able to say at the top of the tree:

	make all-includes
	make install-includes
	make all-lib
	make install-lib
	make
	make install

or something.  you can do some parts of this now,
e.g. 'isntall-includes' is 'make includes'...  but 'make install'
doesn't install the include files, etc.

I'd rather see a sane, flexible system implemented than more little
hacks be applied to fix individuals' problems...  8-)

chris