Subject: Re: Difference
To: None <danielh@oiapoque.bol.com.br>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/26/1996 16:07:44
danielh@oiapoque.bol.com.br writes:
> What is the difference between linux and net bsd? I know that this is
> a stupid question, but i have to know because the linux is so much
> easier to install that i am changing my mind about the bsd advantage.

First, which port are you talking about? NetBSD runs on something like
15 different architectures.

On the i386 architecture, I've recently made some very large strides
towards improving the quality of the i386 install process. The new
install system (which will be officially released with NetBSD 1.3)
will allow you to stick a single floppy into the drive, turn on your
machine and have the system nearly install itself. HOWEVER, that does
not mean that you will be able to run NetBSD (or any other operating
system) without knowing anything at all about what you are doing.