Subject: Re: Problems with 1.1
To: None <Eric.Horlait@masi.ibp.fr>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/21/1995 19:40:37
>Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:32:37 +0100
>From: "Eric HORLAIT (MASI-CNRS)" <Eric.Horlait@masi.ibp.fr>

>Second, as i am in France, my keyboard is an AZERTY one, not a QWERTY! So,
>what is the way to correctly remap the keyboard for me.

Well, it's an old message but hopefully it still applies:

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 12:00:28 --100
From: matthieu@laas.fr (Matthieu Herrb)
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG
Subject: pccons.non-us-kbd updated

Hi,

I've updated my patch to pccons.c that support non-us keyboard. For
now french, german and norvegian keyboards are included.

It's available from ftp.laas.fr:/pub/NetBSD/pccons.non-us-kbd.diff.  I
also provide the resulting patched file in pccons.non-us.kbd.c.

Main features:

1. Characters are displayed using the  ISO-8859-1 encoding.
2. The 'AltGr' keymap is added to gain acces to national characters.

Key maps are not programmable at run-time. You'll need pcvt for that.

To use it, just replace pccons.c by the patched version, add 'option
FRENCH_KBD' (or GERMAN_KBD ou NORVEGIAN_KBD) to your kernel config
file, re-run config.new, make depend & make the new kernel, install it
and reboot.

To add your own map:

1. Choose an option name (for example ACME_KBD)
2. At the beginning of pcccons.c add ''|| defined(ACME_KBD)'' after
   #if defined(FRENCH_KBD) to enable NONUS_KBD and DISPLAY_ISO8859
3. Look for 'XXXX Add tables' to see where to add your table. For
   non-us keyboards the struct scan_def as one more field to hold the
   Alt-GR map. Insert you definition of the scan_codes[] array between
   a set of #ifdef ACME_KBD .. #endif.
4. Add 'option ACME_KBD' to your kernel config file and rebuild your
   kernel.
5. Reboot.

					Matthieu

Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel