Subject: Stupid questions about boot disk generation process
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Volker A. Brandt <volker@carlotta.iam.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/27/1995 15:32:51
OK, here's one from the Stupid Questions dept.:

While making a set of boot disks for NetBSD-current, I noticed that the
password files for the disk image are pulled in from /etc, instead of
/usr/src/etc.  Is there a reason for this unexpected behavior?

While checking a set of disks I made for a friend, I noticed to my horror that
I had given him a copy of my /etc/master.passwd, complete with all encrypted
passwords. Also, my passwd file is rather lengthy, so it just barely fit on the
disk [I am building 1.44 images as a rule, otherwise it wouldn't fit at all].

Shouldn't we use the initial passwd file in /usr/src/etc for the installation
disks?  The only difference between /mnt/etc/passwd and /mnt/etc/master.passwd
is the asterisked-out password field for root in passwd.  Surely this could be
generated with a clever sed statement?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Chirac -- Le fossoyeur de la Grande Nation 		Volker A. Brandt
Internet: volker@iam.uni-bonn.de			Angewandte Mathematik
Phone/FAX number available upon request			(Bonn, Germany)