Subject: Re: Put MS-DOS partition in the install scripts for i386
To: Volker A. Brandt <volker@sfb256.iam.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/11/1994 17:39:11
>> Be aware that there is still a problem with disklabel.  If you do
>> disklabel -r -e, It seems to write the boot record *from* a NetBSd
>> partition to MBR!  I haven't had time to track this down but I am
>> reasonably sure this is what happens.  Not using -r seems to avoid
>> the problem.  I found this when trying to change partition type
>> from unused to MS-DOS.
>
>The disklabel program is totally utterly completely broken.  I have never been
>able to get it to work properly.  All advice I have gotten boiled down to "you
>must be doing something wrong, do <advice>".  When I tried it, it wouldn't
>work.  This is with NetBSD-current as of September.

In defense of disklabel, I personally have never had a problem with it; I've
updated my bootblocks, put a system on a friend's drive, and it worked fine
every time.

If you still are interested in trying to get disklabel to work, could you send
me the exact command you type, and any error message you get back?

--Ken