Subject: Re: Put MS-DOS partition in the install scripts for i386
To: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
From: Volker A. Brandt <volker@sfb256.iam.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/10/1994 10:50:47
> Be aware that there is still a problem with disklabel.  If you do
> disklabel -r -e, It seems to write the boot record *from* a NetBSd
> partition to MBR!  I haven't had time to track this down but I am
> reasonably sure this is what happens.  Not using -r seems to avoid
> the problem.  I found this when trying to change partition type
> from unused to MS-DOS.

The disklabel program is totally utterly completely broken.  I have never been
able to get it to work properly.  All advice I have gotten boiled down to "you
must be doing something wrong, do <advice>".  When I tried it, it wouldn't
work.  This is with NetBSD-current as of September.

When my non-Unix-knowledgeable friends ask for a free Unix on their PCs, I
point them towards Linux.  They just wouldn't be able to put a disklabel on
their system using NetBSD, as this involves using a disk editor under DOS.

Sigh -- Volker

Deutschland im Herbst: Birne ist reif                  Volker A. Brandt
Internet: volker@sfb256.iam.uni-bonn.de                Angewandte Mathematik
Phone/FAX: +49 228 63 36 84                            (Bonn, Germany)