Subject: Help needed with BIOS geometry forwarding.
To: None <freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
From: Bernd Wiserner <wiserner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/13/1993 21:15:15
Hi all
I am currently working on a curses-based install-program for BSD.
As Terry wrote it would be nice to have bootblocks which forward the
BIOS-geometry to the kernel. This would stop the geometry problems at
install-time . So I changed the bootblocks to obtain the geometry from
the BIOS. That works Ok. I can print them out and it works ( at least on
the 7 Machines I tested it . ( IDE,SCSI,both .... ))Now I would like to
pass them to the kernel. I tried to do this ( I put them on the stack behind the
boothowto-flag.) I grabed them in locore.s. But I did it wrong, sometimes
they work sometimes not. I don't have an 386-assembler book handy , and it's
a long time since I had to do with assembler. So I made the changes from
memory. So if there is one of the bootblock-gurus listening :

H      H  EEEEEEE  L        PPPPPP     !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P     P    !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P     P    !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P     P    !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P     P    !!   !!   !!   !!
HHHHHHHH  EEEEEEE  L        PPPPPP     !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P          !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P          !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P          !!   !!   !!   !!
H      H  E        L        P
H      H  EEEEEEE  LLLLLLL  P          XX   XX   XX   XX

I know that this stuff is boring ,and you guys have much to do ,
but could pleas one have a look at it, because I think it is really
important to NOT have the user to read 5 manuals untill he knows what
his diskgeometry is.
For someone who is knowing what he does this should be 5 minutes of work.
( the changes in asm.S , boot.c ,disk.c and locore.S )
So if there is such a kind soul would you please send me some ideas ...
( patches ?!? )
If more info is needed just drop a mail.

thanks
B.Wiserner