Subject: Re: [TechEmbedBSD] Subject format for tech-embed BSD
To: H. Johnson <misc@faradayco.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 10/05/2007 15:38:35
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, H. Johnson wrote:

> Not all users want to be sophisticated with respect to the type of mail
> client / filter software they use, just to handle special, behind the times,
> geeky cases such as this.  I am using Thunderbird, which in every situation
> but filtering this lists mail, does the job well.

 	Thunderbird should filter posts to this list fine by adding a rule
 	for matching mail with 'Sender: tech-embed-owner@NetBSD.org'.

> Maybe it's time to upgrade things a bit on the server side.

 	There are sixteen tech-* lists at netbsd.org, and close to 100
 	others. Your suggestion would involve every post to any list to
 	be prefixed with something like the list name? eg:
 	TechRepositoryBSD or PortEws4800mipsBSD ? But if another BSD
 	has a similar list that would conflict, so you would need to
 	have TechEmbedNetBSD and TechRepositoryNetBSD.

 	If this was done (and personally I would prefer it not), I would
 	have to add some filter on my end to take the prefix *out*, as
 	I would find it *very* annoying.

 	I definitely would not regard the current situation as "special,
 	behind the times", but "normal".