Subject: Re: flashing linksys with netbsd
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 10/05/2007 00:09:10
David Young dyoung@pobox.com  said;

> Let me suggest a few embedded projects that I believe are less risky and
> more widely applicable.
>
>        * develop a driver for the NAND Flash storage on the RouterBOARD
>         1xx series, www.RouterBOARD.com.  Demo writing a bootable
>          NetBSD image to the Flash.  Demo running NetBSD from the flash
>          (read-only).
>
>          (RouterBOARD is an open-architecture board with MiniPCI slots
>          for wireless cards, et cetera.  The cheapest boards in the
>          1xx series have no CompactFlash slot.)

I've ported NetBSD to Mesa Electronics 4C81 PC104plus SBC.  The storage
is 32MB/64MB bare NAND which holds BSDFFS.  Bad blocks are forwarded
by a preconfigured badblock list.  No MTD included.  Bootloader knows and
handles /netbsd.  The NAND block device driver allows writes.  It'd be likely
to get highly criticized but the decision was made weighing "the rootfs is
seldom written beyond configuration mods by administrators."  Software ECC
is always calc'ed and verified, block write is counted and recorded inside
NAND spare fields.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology