Re: flashing linksys with netbsd

* Adam Hamsik:

> Hello folks
>
> I have chosen my  school project,  I will write step by step guide
> howto install netbsd on linksys router.

Warning, you might have bitten off more than you can chew :(

> 1) Do you have some hints how to build and boot netbsd for this platform

we don't support it (yet). You'd have to start a new port for it, which is a
lot more work than writing a howto. A *lot* more work. I guess you can borrow
quite a bit from other mips targets.

> 2) Any hints how to get network run ? Do we or FreeBSD,OpenBSD have
> drivers for that switch ?

Nope. It's a tagged switch, which defaults to isolating all ports, so without
*some* support for it, the built-in ethernet NIC is useless. To add insult
to injury, the our bce driver (which would *probably* work) has no VLAN
support.

There's no hope from Linux either; even though there are several Linux
distributions out for these critters, they all communicate with the switch
using a binary-only kernel module and proprietary tools.

> And what about wifi it is Integrated  Broadcom BCM2050KML.

Yes, and as such not supported. Open source Linux drivers are rumoured to
exist, but porting them to NetBSD isn't that trivial either.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino%dohd.org@localhost