Subject: Re: CF Vendors
To: Hoka Adam <hokaadam@gmail.com>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@ono-sendai.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 07/01/2007 07:55:03
On 7/1/07, Hoka Adam <hokaadam@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm swapping out the hard drives in my Cobalt Raq2's with CF cards in
> > > order to make them a little cooler, and a little quieter.   I was
> > > browsing through Newegg and came across a vendor that was selling CF
> > > cards that were listed as 266x, 40MB/s.  The vendor is A-DATA.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any experience with them?  None of the other big names
> > > (SanDisk, Kingston) had anything available above 133x.
> >
> > The problem with using CF cards is the sector erase time, and the limited
> > number of erase cycles allowed.
> > (So you need all the noatime, nodevmtime mount options).
>
> I think LFS is more CF friendly than FFS. And using ramdisk drive for temporaly data store is also handy to prolong the card`s lifetime.

Hmm.. I had planned on using tmpfs in all the appropriate places (as
well as noatime, nodevmtime)  [half of me is asking why we still
bother shipping atime as the default, the other half knows the
flamefest that would ensue.]  I hadn't quite thought of bringing the
system up on LFS.  Easy enough for me to build out and replace.

I was more curious about the specific vendor.  In my scenario there
really isn't much happening on these systems (one's a DNS server and
sometimes bounce server for myself, the other has a second spinning
disk with all the "real" action on it.

-=erik.