Subject: Re: Summary so far...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/14/2007 23:25:19
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:42:11 -0400
Allen Briggs <briggs@NetBSD.org> wrote:

>    * Network devices
>       * Networking performance is important, but protocols may vary
>       * UI probably web/net-based, but maybe CLI
>       * These can range from home wireless base station / cable modem
>         to large routers--obviously needs will vary.

These aren't obvious to me.  Most home-grade equipment uses a web
server as its GUI, because that way users don't need to install any
software.  Enterprise and carrier-grade equipment might have a web
server, too; however, such devices *always* have CLIs, to permit
configurations to be generated by scripts.  (Some will have SNMP; in
the ISP world, at least, it's rather rare to configure gear via SNMP,
but universal to monitor it that way.)