Subject: Re: Looking ahead
To: None <>
From: Bucky Katz <>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/13/2007 16:21:25
"Yiang Han" <> writes:

> I have interesting to start porting the MTD and JFFS2 from linux into
> the FreeBSD system, Does anybody have any suggestions or tips on it? Or
> is there any resources about it?  As I am a newer on BSD file system. It
> seems the BSD file system is kind complicated.

My suggestion is: Don't.  The MTD developers have abandoned JFFS2
(again) because of its inherent performance issues. There's a log
based file system being worked on as a replacement for JFFS2, but it's
a long way from being stable.

MTD may be a good approach for NOR, but its NAND support is an
afterthought and has some design problems.

Oh, and it's GPL-ed code, so you'd have to maintain it outside the
NetBSD tree, I assume.