Re: Looking ahead

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:37:19AM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Tue Jun 05 2007 at 10:25:41 -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > > * tiny & full tcp/ip stack (like QNX for example)
> >
> > If we're defining a "tiny & full" tcp/ip stack, it would be useful
> > to identify what "tiny" and "full" mean.  Can you elaborate?  I
> > have some idea what I would mean by that, but would like to hear
> > what you would be willing to give up.
>
> One option for a tinier & "full" tcp/ip stack is to rip out the routing
> code.  But it's not exactly easy make it an optional module.
>
> see:
> http://www.cs.hut.fi/~pooka/pubs/EuroBSDCon2006/bsd_lwrouting.pdf

I believe this talk about the size of the IP stack is a distraction,
and we should not squander our volunteer developers' valuable time
discussing it any further, when we know that people eschew NetBSD for
embedded use more often because NetBSD lacks board/device support and
essential features such as a NAND flash filesystem.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24