Subject: Re: Looking ahead
To: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/05/2007 10:25:41
Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Can you clarify / expand some on these?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:42:31AM +0300, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> * tiny & full tcp/ip stack (like QNX for example)

If we're defining a "tiny & full" tcp/ip stack, it would be useful
to identify what "tiny" and "full" mean.  Can you elaborate?  I
have some idea what I would mean by that, but would like to hear
what you would be willing to give up.

> * most of the base system tools as installable packages

Why, specifically?  I wonder if this is similar to or different
from the "build to image" functionality I mentioned.  The idea
there is that you would have some kind of configuration tied to
the source tree and you would build a complete "firmware" image
directly.

> * mesh routing protocol implementations

What protocols?  References?

> * sensor support

What kind of sensor support?  I know that we can do a good deal
better on x86, but we do have a fair number of sensors supported
in base right now.  Are you just talking about hardware support
or software / monitoring / alarms / etc.?

> * modular 'control-external-hardware' API

Are there any implementations that you know of out there?  Either
as examples or things that might be worth importing?

Thanks again!
-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com