Subject: Re: Looking ahead
To: Scott Telford <s.telford@vibtech.co.uk>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/05/2007 07:22:34
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:14:17AM +0100, Scott Telford wrote:
> - Support for MMU-less architectures (if they managed to merge uCLinux in
> Linux 2.6, then it must be feasible :-)

Added.  Personally, this is not a direction I have any desire to
go in since there are a number of low-cost devices with MMUs and
the ones that lack MMUs are also highly constrained in other ways,
too (RAM, flash, etc.).  I'm not sure it makes sense to try to go
in that direction when there are other options already there and
doing (AFAICT) a pretty good job filling any niches.

That said, if someone (or someones) wants to develop and champion
an MMU-less NetBSD port, I expect I could be persuaded that it has
value.  ;-)

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com