Subject: Re: NAND flash support
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/14/2007 10:01:09
Bucky Katz wrote;

> In a former life I participated in a project to adapt LFS to NAND for
> a custom OS, without an FTL. It turns out to be a lot of work. I
> recommend that a custom file system tuned to NAND characteristics be
> designed and would like to participate in such a design.

That's the point.  Filesys designer has never concerned about the
recording technology won't like re-written extensively.  Disparity of
large erase unit is also a minus.  "Best cleaning strategy" is major
issue.  As HD recording technolgy evolves, the significance of so-called
cylinder group went down (desktop grade HD has a single platter in
these days despite what BIOS tells), and conventional concerns (ah,
wisdom, we call) are now shifted toward how spindles are configured
with best parametrics, which used to be the concern of mega-buck
computer-holds.  That's the reality of 21th c. computing.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology