Subject: Re: Interest in Broadcom crypto cards?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-embed
Date: 02/20/2007 13:37:59
--------------enigBC459ACBA8C166A754FDF243

Todd Vierling wrote:
> There are many such embedded/small-CPU devices (not just for VPN, mind
> you) that need low power consumption, which is certainly not an
> amd64-type-CPU strong suit.  A CPU of the power you mention is a *very
> very bad* fit here; typically these machines are 486 or Pentium-II
> generation at best.  It's like comparing pears vs. tangerines, or
> something like that.

I'm left wondering what use PCI64/66 is there then? Sure, there are SoCs
with PCI64/66 buses (Intel/Marvell?), but I haven't seen any solution
where they offer that as PCI slot, save a couple of development boards.
Is that perhaps what you're referring to?

> Now, show me a complete amd64-based machine in the ballpark of the
> speed you mention, using less than 2A of current @ 5VDC, and we'll
> talk.  8-)

The X2 3800+ EE (35W, dualcore) chip might come close if running at its
lowest powernow/cnq speed/voltage, though that's just the CPU then ofcourse.

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net