unified net4521 / net4801 kernel

I would like to run the same kernel on all of my net45xx and net48xx
boards.  The only thing that stops me is this option in the net45xx
kernel configuration:

# AMD Elan SC520's timer runs at a different frequency
options         TIMER_FREQ=1189200

Is there a straightforward way for the kernel to identify the net45xx
and set this parameter at run-time?  Alternatively, can the kernel
"calibrate" the timer frequency using some other on-board clock?

Dave