Subject: Google Summer of Code project ideas
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 04/21/2006 12:18:55
--eWmFpGZayiNrn4FL

Hello,

As you are probably aware, the NetBSD project will once again participate
in the Google Summer of Code 2006.  We are currently compiling a list of
possible projects, but seeing how our userbase communicates primarily via
our mailing lists, I thought I should bring your attention to these
projects.

If you are interested in participating in the Summer of Code as as
student, it would be best if you would start discussing your proposal on
this list.  You also want to take a look at
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/soc-application.html for a list of questions
you should be able to answer in your application.

The projects relating to topics on this mailing list are:

*  NetBSD port of Qtopia Core Open Source Edition -- Qtopia Core
   (formerly QT/Embedded) is a framework for building single-application
   devices on embedded systems. Currently this only runs on Linux, but
   many current and future NetBSD systems would benefit from having a
   light-weight replacement for X11 provided by Qtopia Core.

   See also http://www.trolltech.com/download/qtopia/coregpl.html

*  Implement NetBSD block device driver for NAND flash chips=20

*  Flash translation layer -- Implement flash-translation layer to
   handle bad-block management/wear leveling such that a FFS filesystem
   could be placed on above NAND flash chip.

*  Compressed Cache System -- Implement NetBSD version of compressed
   cache system (for low-memory devices):
   http://linuxcompressed.sourceforge.net/

The complete list of project ideas is available online at
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html

-Jan

P.S.: Discussions (and implementations) of any of these projects is of
course welcome regardless of whether or not you are a student or intend
to apply for the SoC. :-)

--=20
What do you mean, why has it got to be built? It's a=20
bypass. Got to build bypasses.

--eWmFpGZayiNrn4FL

--eWmFpGZayiNrn4FL--