Re: compile vs run-time dependencies?

Garrett D'Amore <garrett%damore.org@localhost> writes:
>  From my perspective, there is little value in run-time checks for
> this, and frankly since a lot of the details can be handled by
> constant redefinitions in header files, compile-time checks will lead
> (I believe) to cleaner code.
>
> The drawback is that you need different kernels for different SoCs.

There is nothing wrong with needing different kernels for different
boards. However, you should not try to evade the autoconf
machinery. It makes life a lot easier and more pleasant, and you'll be
happier using it than not using it. It is one thing to not bother
compiling in drivers that a board can't use and another to hard code
the locations for all the devices etc.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost