Subject: Re: duty cycles on compact flash?
To: Marcin Jessa <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: tech-embed
Date: 10/12/2005 05:37:34
In message <>, Marcin Jessa writes:
>On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:58:15 -0400
>"Steven M. Bellovin" <> wrote:
>> How many times can a typical CF card be written?
>That does not really metter as long as you mount your /var and /tmp as
>memory file system. The leases will never get written to your CF then.
>That's basically what people do working with media like CFs.

Right, but that conflicts with the dhcp spec.  RFC 1531 says that a
server "must retain host configuration across server reboots, and, whenever
possible, a host should be assigned the same configuration parameters despite
restarts of the DHCP mechanism".  No, this doesn't matter that much,
since it's for my house; I'd still like to do it properly.
>> I'm going to build a gateway from a Soekris 4801.  I may want to use
>> it as a DHCP server, in which case I'd like to use non-volatile
>> storage for the lease database.  How long could I expect it to last?
>P.S I have a system which does what you want.
>Let me know if you want to try it out.
That would spoil my fun....

		--Steven M. Bellovin,