Re: mount failure on small NetBSD

On 29/08/05 13:08 +0300, Juha-Matti Liukkonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FYI - I've had similar problems with a 156 GB Maxtor (in an USB
> enclosure, i.e. sd0 over umass0, which may or may not be relevant),
> NetBSD 2.0R, regular install in an old PC box. Some simple
> experimentation indicates that mount_msdos gives "invalid argument"
> if trying to mount a partition >128 GB. Those same partitions (single
> 156 GB partition in this case) mount OK to OS X.
>
> I'm also having trouble fsck_msdos'ing the current partitions (128
> +about 25 GB, partitioned and newfs_msdos'd in NetBSD). Fsck_msdos
> says reading FAT, then complains about being unable to allocate
> memory. OS X fsck_msdos has no problems cleaning the filesystems.
>
> This is a bit of a pain, but I haven't had time to debug it further
> yet. Luckily I usually have a mac laptop at hand.
>
> Cheers,
> Jussi

The problem is some integer is coded on 32 bits and >128 fats (among
others) needs 64 bits file id. A recent change shows:
64 bit inode changes [christos 20050819]

So I was thinking everything was ok, but I still can't mount my big
drive. Maybe I updated my -CURRENT too soon, I'll retry later.

Regards.
Fabien Devaux.