Subject: Re: mount failure on small NetBSD
To: fab <fab@gnux.info>
From: Juha-Matti Liukkonen <jml@cubical.fi>
List: tech-embed
Date: 08/29/2005 13:08:41

Hi,

FYI - I've had similar problems with a 156 GB Maxtor (in an USB
enclosure, i.e. sd0 over umass0, which may or may not be relevant),
NetBSD 2.0R, regular install in an old PC box. Some simple
experimentation indicates that mount_msdos gives "invalid argument"
if trying to mount a partition >128 GB. Those same partitions (single
156 GB partition in this case) mount OK to OS X.

I'm also having trouble fsck_msdos'ing the current partitions (128
+about 25 GB, partitioned and newfs_msdos'd in NetBSD). Fsck_msdos
says reading FAT, then complains about being unable to allocate
memory. OS X fsck_msdos has no problems cleaning the filesystems.

This is a bit of a pain, but I haven't had time to debug it further
yet. Luckily I usually have a mac laptop at hand.

Cheers,
Jussi

On 11.8.2005, at 18.18, fab wrote:

> On 10/08/05 03:10 +0200, fab wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I just (less or more) finished a small netbsd (fits uncompressed
>> on some
>> 8M CF) with mplayer and mpc/mpd. It's designed to be independent
>> music
>> player with web and mpd interface. Actually music can be played from
>> network but I can't mount anything. When I plug an usb key I get
>> this:
>>
>> mount_msdos: /dev/sd0e on /mnt: Operation not supported by device
>>
>> I ktrace'd the mount_msdos but can't find why it fails, the mount
>> () call
>> fails but I can't understand why. If someone have an idea...
>>
>> Regards.
>> Fabien Devaux.
>>
>> PS: maybe it's important: the system is running with a trick, /etc/rc
>> exec() /bin/ksh
>>

> I just tried with a smaller usb key (256MB) and it works. Looks like a
> bug...

- --
Juha-Matti Liukkonen - Senior Consultant, Partner, Cubical Solutions Oy
tel: +358-40-5280142
e-mail: jml@cubical.fi