Subject: Re: Issue with /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/gatea20.c
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/21/2005 18:25:28
On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 06:49:04PM +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:11:17 +0200
> Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch> wrote:
>
> > Marcin Jessa --> current-users (2005-06-21 15:50:37 +0200):
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I have WRAP boards which do not have a keyboard controller.
> > > The system stops up when booting those boards becouse of that.
> > > It seems like the /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/gatea20.c file is the
> > > one responsible for that.
> > > Would someone knowledgable take a look at the file and maybe fix that part?
> >
> > Have you already tried this patch:
> >
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/06/20/0028.html
>
> No I have not but I will now. Thanks Jukka.
> But if it works, why the heck isn't it commited?

Because the code that is there was added for a reason - probably to
make some other motherboard work properly.  Unless and until you
understand the full ramifications of such a change, you are likely
to break the boot code on some other platform.

The A20 gate is a horrid hack, and it is probably difficult to find any
reasonable amount of documentation about it.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk