Subject: Re: Tests of mdsetimage -s
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: tech-embed
Date: 04/02/2005 18:49:02
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 18:37:20 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > Btw, my init problem is solved.
> > Seems like running newfs before disklabel is the way to go...
>
> That sounds wrong.
> You normally first write the disklabel, then create filesystems.

Actually I was wrong.
What I had to do was ./MAKEDEV ramdisk in dev/ of my build.
I took it for granted init will build all the entries automatically as I seen it happen on the boot floppy.
I read the /.profile of it and there is nothing there mentioned about creating the devices.
The dev/ dir of /usr/obj/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big/work has only MAKEDEV in it too.

Any idea how the floppy ramdisk can generate all the dev files on the fly ?
I used it with the same kernel as I use for my build so the kernel config has nothing to do with it.

Regards,
M. Jessa
http://www.yazzy.org