Subject: Re: NetBSD and root fs
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/31/2005 01:47:14
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> What I mean is to upgrade some of the files like kernel, files in /etc,

Ah. That's not "firmware".

> or e.g. to be able change the layout of the website used to configure
> the router.

um... vi *.html :)
(vi == Visual Internet - used for many websites! :)

In NetBSD, you just replace the files you want to replace, and that's it.
At worst, you have to reboot (for kernel) or restart some service to read
new/changed files. Again, this is standard NetBSD operation - maybe see
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/part-compile.html, src/BUILDING and
src/UPDATING for some ideas.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)