Subject: Re: NetBSD and root fs
To: None <tech-embed@NetBSD.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/30/2005 17:00:26
Hubert Feyrer --> tech-embed (2005-03-30 16:23:09 +0200):
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> >How can I do the same on NetBSD? How can I tell it where to find the root
> >fs?
> >My kernel config already has the options but it doesn't seem to be of help:
> >
> >options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
> >options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT     # force root on memory disk
> >options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=0    # no userspace memory disk support
> >options         MINIROOTSIZE=20480      # size of memory disk, in blocks
>
> This looks good.

Hmm, what is MINIROOTSIZE? I can only find some references to it in
kernel config files in sys/arch/{evbarm,sgimips}, but all of them
commented out. Shouldn't this be MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE instead?

> >What I get on my soekris is it loads the kernel and stops, which IMO is
> >becouse it cannot find the init binary:
> >
> >NetBSD/i386 ffsv1 Primary Bootstrap

> >Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
> >booting hd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
> >open netbsd: No such file or directory
>
> init? I'd say it doesn't find "netbsd" (== the kernel), so you don't get

The OP used netbsd.gz which was found by the boot loader.

Cheers, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~