Subject: Re: GPIO abstraction [was "Re: wscons on a HD44780"]
To: Jesse Off <joff@embeddedARM.com>
From: Alexander Yurchenko <grange@rt.mipt.ru>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/22/2005 16:55:09
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:54:12PM -0700, Jesse Off wrote:
> I've since noticed OpenBSD implemented something very similar to what is
> being discussed here in their gpio(4) driver.
>
> "pinbus" sounds like exactly the perfect word for the abstraction.  A
> wishlist item that I'd like to see enabled is the general attachment of
> certain pins to full devices and functions such that a "pinbus" could be
> attached at bootup and then individual pins could be arbitrarily aggregated
> into devices that could be "hot-plugged"  e.g. a matrixkp, hd44780 LCD,
> serial-port,  SPI-based ADC's.    Remaining pins might be assigned to a
> generic OpenBSD style gpio(4) device for user programs to twiddle.  I was

OpenBSD's gpio(4) has initial config glue of gpio bit-banging, it's
possible to attach devices to gpio controller specifying a set of pins
via locators like:

somedevice0 at gpio0 pin 10 mask 0x5

It means that somedevice uses first and third pins starting from pin 10,
i.e. pins 10 and 12.

> I would really love to see NetBSD start distinguishing itself more in the
> embedded world by providing more functionality like this that might be of
> more practical use to embedded.  Another thing that would be great is a
> general API for high frequency low-latency timers.  Something such that
> some devices would be providers of timing hardware and and the timers could
> be allocated, used and deallocated by device drivers.   Extra hardware

Like this?

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=tc_init&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

--
   Alexander Yurchenko (aka grange)