Subject: Re: How to Disable Page Swapping to Disk in NetBSD?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, tech-embed@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-embed
Date: 12/18/2004 00:53:20
> How do I disable Page swapping?  The intention is to reduce the
> latency in switching between tasks.

Strictly speaking, disabling paging will not affect latency switching
between tasks, only the time it takes for the switched-to task to run
(and that, only when it needs a paged-out page promptly).

> Is it possible to install NetBSD without Swap partition?

Yes.

Past versions behaved rather badly when all RAM+swap was exhausted
(which is significantly easier to do if you have no swap).  I haven't
tried stressing 2.0 in that regard, but it wouldn't surprise me if it
misbehaved too - wedged, or started killing processes "at random", or
some such.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign