Grabbing the keyboard and mouse

Hey Folks,

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to grab mouse and keyboard input, much in the same way that X would grab it? Our company writes graphics software for embedded systems and one of our new customers is running on NetBSD. We've done this sort of thing in the past with Unix-like operating systems by simply opening the device and reading from it, but I'm not meeting with much success doing the same on NetBSD. I'm thinking that I'm just missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jim DeLisle

--