Subject: RE: interrupt storm
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Bronstein Dan <D.Bronstein@flarion.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/25/2004 18:09:28
I compiled the ethernet interface with event countered enabled.
The following is from vmstat.

event                                         total     rate type
wm0 txdw                                       2008        0 intr
wm0 rxintr                                    29948       11 intr
wm0 linkintr                                      2        0 intr
wm0 txseg1                                     2426        0 misc
wm0 txseg2                                       43        0 misc
wm0 txseg3                                       12        0 misc

I haven't added any dynamic system event counters to the wan driver,
but I did add some interrupt counters that I check from ddb.  The
actual processing (handling) of the wan interrupts is very low, but
the count that gets updated on entry into the interrupt handler is
exceedingly high after enabling one of the t1 ports.  Once the port
is enabled, the only thing I can do is to break into the kernel
debugger since it seems like nothing else is happening other than pci
Int11's.  BTW.. I did check the ethernet event counts from ddb and
they're reasonable.