Subject: Disk on Chip support
To: NetBSD - tech-embed <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/21/2003 13:15:33
My goal is to get my PC104 system booting off of the on board Disk-On-Chip 2000. Currently the D.O.C. has MSDOS on it. I am booting the machine off of the floppy drive and have created a kernel based on the INSTALL-TINY. I then populate the kernel memdrive with whatever tools that I need. However the kernel is not seeing the D.O.C. and I'm assuming that the reason for this is that the driver is not installed.

I found a post in the archives that indicates that you can use the FreeBSD driver. It privides a link to a tarball that has everything. The readme file seems to be for FreeBSD and not NetBSD. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the driver into NetBSD.

The post is here...
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-embed/2003/01/22/0001.html

What exactly do I need to do to incorporate this driver into the kernel? I have copied the driver into the sys/dev/fla directory. I assume that I need to make an entry into the config file. The readme file states that I must do the following for pre-4.0 FreeBSD kernels

config          kernel  root on major 28 minor 65538

so I put in

config          netbsd root on major 28 minor 65538

When I did this I got the following startup message

unknown device major 0x10001c02

I guess I'm missing something? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brian