Re: File system image

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

You should read the scripts that build NetBSD boot media. No physical
drives are used in the process at all.

Brian Rose <saider%gate.net@localhost> writes:

I am trying to build a NetBSD kernel with a built in MEMDRIVE that
contains all the files that I need to run a machine. This is similiar
to a diskless setup except that I am not mounting a drive via NFS.

I'm running into a bit of a paradox. I'll detail the working
configuration first, then I'll show you where my trouble is...

WORKING SETUP - To create a 1.44Meg MEMDRIVE
1) Zero the drive
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0a bs=512 count=2880
[...]

I was looking in that area and the problem I ran across was when I was trying to initialize the disklabel, I found that all the boot media seem to use either 1.44 Meg floppies or 2.88 Meg floppies, both of which have an entry in the disktab file.

Since my 16Meg image did not have an entry, I tried (without success) to create my own entry, by modifying the floppy entry. Perhaps I need to take another look at it, I've learned a lot about disklabel since then.

The main problem I am having is that my kernel won't boot. When I select it from the boot menu, it loads it up and resets the machine. I see the numbers as the kernel is loading, but it reboots immediately after, when the banner is usually displayed.

I'm going to be delving into the source code to find out what is going on, but if anyone can shed light as to what is happening, I'd appreciate it.

Brian