Subject: Re: File system image
To: Brian Rose <saider@gate.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 02/07/2003 16:32:50
Brian Rose <saider@gate.net> writes:
> I was looking in that area and the problem I ran across was when I was
> trying to initialize the disklabel, I found that all the boot media
> seem to use either 1.44 Meg floppies or 2.88 Meg floppies, both of
> which have an entry in the disktab file.

The disklabel program doesn't need an actual functioning disktab to
operate -- indeed, the average drive running NetBSD doesn't have a
disktab. You can just run it -- try out disklabel -i for example.

And yes, you can run it on a vnd based file system (obbviously.)

> The main problem I am having is that my kernel won't boot. When I
> select it from the boot menu, it loads it up and resets the machine. I
> see the numbers as the kernel is loading, but it reboots immediately
> after, when the banner is usually displayed.
>
> I'm going to be delving into the source code to find out what is going
> on, but if anyone can shed light as to what is happening, I'd
> appreciate it.

You might want to explain what you are loading this kernel from and
what the kernel has been configured to do.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com