Re: IDT RC3233x support?

pcw%mesanet.com@localhost (Peter C. Wallace) asked;

> ~2 years ago there was some mention about possible support for these chips.
> Has anything changed? Would I be better off with a TX3927? (cheaper but lack
> of JTAG is painfull...)

So far there is no effort made on NetBSD code repositry as long as I know.
IDT's RC3233x is pretty close to MIPS32 definition (look-like proto-MIPS32 or
something) and NetBSD already has one of genuine MIPS32 processor support
(AMD/Alchemy Au1xxx), then there would be little trouble to run RC3233x
processor, I guess (possible pitfall may be cache writethru/writeback design
twist).

Toshiba's TX features quite at par to RC3233x in many aspects although their
cores differ (3000A or RC4000).  Did you consider to use NEC Vr4131?
It's not bad.   One of interesting story behind low-end MIPS market was the
fact TX39 ran phenomenally faster than Vr41 in the context of M$ Windows
CE portable computer products (a few years ago) despite of TX was clocked
slower.  It was rumoured cache tuning benefited.  TX39 now offers H3 grade
133MHz product line.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology/www.alkyltechnology.com