Subject: Disk imaging during manufacture?
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 06/12/2002 10:17:53
This isn't exactly "embedded systems" (a Pentium III hardly qualifies as
"embedded"), but I figure this crowd is the most likely to have a similar
need.  We're looking to produce a network appliance based in part on Intel
P-III hardware and a much-modified NetBSD system.  We have a very good
manufacturer selected for the hardware, but they're used to laying down
pre-burn-in disk images using Norton Ghost.  I know that Ghost can do Linux
ext2 disks, but apparently not BSD ffs.

So the question for the group is: How do YOU image YOUR NetBSD appliances?
Some obvious ideas have come to mind (boot a tiny-system and untar;
customized load-and-go CD-ROMs, etc.), but I'm especially interested in
real-world experiences, because we hope to be building a lot of these things,
and the manufacturers like to keep their work processes highly repeatable.

Thanks,
Ross Patterson
CatchFIRE Systems, Inc.