Subject: Re: NetBSD without MMU ?
To: None <,,>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-embed
Date: 04/12/2002 13:28:59
[ On , April 12, 2002 at 12:27:58 (-0400), Perry E. Metzger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NetBSD without MMU ?
> MINIX uses the x86 segment registers to much the same purpose as an
> MMU.

I don't know that I'd call the way MINIX uses the 8088 segment registers
as "base registers" really that much of an MMU-like function, though I
guess in comparison to something without any such feature (like maybe a
6502) it is a form of memory managment -- but it's not a separate MMU
(tightly or loosely coupled) -- its integrated into the programming
model of the main CPU.

> It is hard to do fork without any memory management at all.

Not really.  Even if all you do is "bank" swapping (perhaps with a
reloacting loader so you can have at least more than one process in main
memory at a time and thus get useful work done why the memory manager
does, er, waits for, the swapping I/Os).

(in fact I would say an MMU makes implementing fork "harder"! :-)

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>