Subject: Re: FW: NetBSD File Systems
To: Unice, Kyle <kyle.unice@intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 03/05/2001 16:33:02
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Unice, Kyle wrote:

> I am not sure if this made it .. so I am sending it again.
> Forgive the repeat if you already received it.
> Kyle

It didn't make it to tech-kern... :-)

> > I have gotten to the point of having NetBSD trying to mount a file system
> > on our little embedded system.  The system has FLASH and RAM but not much
> > else.  What is the current thought on file systems inside these types of
> > systems?  Does one allocat a piece of flash and format it as an ffs file
> > system?  If so, is there a set of Flash chip drivers somewhere for NetBSD?

I'm not sure. I don't think there had been much thought about it. I think
that most of the filesystems we have now would probably be poor choices
for a flash system, but that's my opinion. :-) Assuming you mean
read/write. If you went with some sort of r/o ramdisk for your root, and a
memory disk for your r/w areas, that would work. What to do about
permanent, modifiable storage, I'm not so sure about.

Take care,

Bill