Re: NetBSD cross compile from Win32?

On 30 Jan 2001, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

: > Also needed, however, are reachover Makefiles that build "host" versions of
: > the non-GNU toolchain bits, using <bsd.hostprog.mk>.  Even a "make build"
: > should use these, so that it can do an upgrade bootstrap.
:
: The problem is, a lot of our tools rely on headers, functions, etc.,
: that aren't particularly portable...  "host == NetBSD" isn't
: particularly interesting, to many people.

These should be fixed, but then, there are fortunately not too many of these
particular tools needed.  Where some things may be missing in the host
system, we can provide alternatives.

: FWIW, my opinion is that if you're shipping an 'embedded development
: kit' or similar for NetBSD to somebody, you really don't want them to
: have to build their own host tools (or any part of the system that
: they don't want to change, i.e. they shouldn't even necessarily be
: building libc).

Well, yes -- and such a set of reachover host-tool makefiles should help.
This is needed for a lot more than just a binary-shipped "development kit";
it's a long standing cross compilation issue.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv%wasabisystems.com@localhost>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with
it.