Subject: Re: NetBSD cross compile from Win32?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-embed
Date: 01/30/2001 10:38:14
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> On 30 Jan 2001, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
>
> : The compilation tools are a mess: as far as I know you can't build
> : cross-tools out of the in tree 'dist' bits (even if you want to -- I
> : can't), and NetBSD support in the stock GNU tools is incomplete for
> : many, perhaps most, targets, because the NetBSD-related changes
> : haven't all been submitted back to the FSF maintainers.
>
> I'm working on these procedures as I type this.

Good.  (I'm not sure what "procedures" you mean, but...)

> Also needed, however, are reachover Makefiles that build "host" versions of
> the non-GNU toolchain bits, using <bsd.hostprog.mk>.  Even a "make build"
> should use these, so that it can do an upgrade bootstrap.

The problem is, a lot of our tools rely on headers, functions, etc.,
that aren't particularly portable...  "host == NetBSD" isn't
particularly interesting, to many people.

FWIW, my opinion is that if you're shipping an 'embedded development
kit' or similar for NetBSD to somebody, you really don't want them to
have to build their own host tools (or any part of the system that
they don't want to change, i.e. they shouldn't even necessarily be
building libc).  So, you also need a way to package up those host
tools so they're easily shippable, if you're going to try to ship
them.  8-)

chris
--
not speaking for my employer, or course.  8-)