Re: Port to 8xx embedded PPCs

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, David Querbach wrote:
>
> > > I'm not very familiar with the 8xxs, but I'm assuming they have no
> > > hardware floating point? If so, the soft float support we have in
> > > several other ports can probably be stolen -- it would be very
> > > straightforward.
> >
> > Yes, we need software floating-point.  After looking at the emulators that
> > come with the compiler, I instead chose to steal the one in the arm32 port
> > (src/sys/lib/libc/arch/arm32/fplib).
>
>       I believe Ban Harris has imported a version designed to be MI -
>       he might be able to comment on this more :)

Yes.  I've imported a new version of the SoftFloat package that arm32
uses, and tried to make it more amenable to use by other ports.  It lives
in src/lib/libc/softfloat and src/lib/libc/arch/${MACHINE_ARCH}/softfloat.
Currently, the only port using it is arm26, but I think I've got the
portability hacks right.  If I haven't, please tell me rather than putting
yet another copy of SoftFloat in the tree.

I'm not reading tech-embed, but feel free to get in touch directly if you
want to talk about SoftFloat stuff.

--
Ben Harris
<bjh21%netbsd.org@localhost>