Subject: MPC860
To: tech-embed <tech-embed@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-embed
Date: 05/18/2000 11:23:39
Hello,

A few months ago I asked about NetBSD MPC860 and MPC8260 ports.  I never
got into that project, but the project is alive and well and will probably
use NetBSD as soon as a port is available.

Now I'm consulting for another project which is in the stage where you
need to select hardware, OS, etc. and I'm trying to "sell" MPC860 and
NetBSD to these people.

How far is the MPC860 port (or ports, I think there were two porting
projects going on)?

What kind of memory configuration is realistic for running NetBSD kernel
and some smallish daemons on the system (SNMP, BOOTP client, some small
application software)?  I guess 16 MB of DRAM might be enough, how about
FLASH?  Do you need a disk-like device (like Compact FLASH) or can you
manage with some FLASH with a compressed kernel and RAM disk image on
it?

What else can you tell me? :-)

Thanks,

  -jm