Re: Patch: rework kernel random number subsystem (*nearly final*)

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 07:34:16PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <201111081825.TAA0000076932%zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de@localhost>,
> Matthias Drochner  <M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> >-not directly related: What is the "Mersenne Twister" code in libkern
> > good for?
>
> Matt Thomas wanted to use this for network port allocation IIRC. I don't
> know what happened with that.

While converting arc4random() -> cprng_fast32() I found many, many
places in the kernel where random() had been converted to arc4random()
(which, while fast, is still much slower -- I tested this years ago on
several architectures).  MT might be better suited for these uses.

Thor