Subject: Re: crypto(4) and IVs
To: None <>
From: Nathan J. Williams <>
List: tech-crypto
Date: 05/29/2005 15:22:40
Thor Lancelot Simon <> writes:

> > It appears to assume that any cryptosystem with an IV is doing
> > CBC-style feedback.  This will break when someone gets around to adding
> > the counter modes (see draft-ietf-secsh-newmodes-03.txt), unless their
> > state is represented somewhere other than the IV storage....
> I don't have access to any hardware that does any counter mode (I'm not
> even sure if there is any, yet).  If you do, I agree that you're probably
> going to have to do some interface and client code bashing to make it
> work right.

Such hardware does exist; for example, the built-in "SEC 2.0" security
enging on the Freescale MPC8555E/MPC8541 SoC devices. See

Both the reference manual and application note 2755 go into detail on
the capabilites of the security engine, which includes AES counter
mode, HMACs, lots of elliptic curve stuff I don't understand...

        - Nathan